Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers
1. President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday met with the nation’s service chiefs behind closed doors.
The meeting, which held at the Presidential Villa in Abuja, had in attendance all the current serving service chiefs.
2. A member of the House of Representatives, Muhammed Gudaji Kazaure, last night claimed that there is a plot to impeach President Muhammadu Buhari by the National Assembly.
Kazaure told House Press Corps immediately after the 3-hour long joint closed-door session of the Senate and the House of Representatives on Tuesday that some lawmakers have been mandated to collect signatures to impeach President Buhari.
3. The Department of State Services, DSS, on Tuesday partially returned some of its operatives who were earlier withdrawn from the security team of the Senate President, Bukola Saraki.
About five of the operatives recalled have been returned to the security detail of the Senate President.
4. The suspended Director-General of the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), Mounir Gwarzo, was on Tuesday arraigned by the Independent Corrupt Practices and other related offences Commission (ICPC) on a five-count charge of alleged fraud.
The presiding judge, Hussein Baba-Yusuf granted the defendants bail with a bond of N25 million each. He also ordered them to produce two sureties in like sum; sureties must be civil servants, not below the rank of deputy directors and working under the employment of the Federal Civil Service.
5. The National Assembly on Tuesday resolved after a 3-hour joint sitting of the upper and lower chambers to invoke its powers against the executive arm of government if nothing was done to end the ongoing harassment and humiliation of perceived political opponents by the police.
It also said President Buhari must be held accountable for the actions of his appointees, and must ensure a strict adherence to the rule of law.
6. The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has re-constituted its Election Monitoring and Support Centre (EMSC) Committee to ensure good planning and success of 2019 elections.
INEC Chairman, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, while inaugurating the committee, said their work was vital because of the need to constantly track planning mechanisms and activities put in place for the smooth conduct of the next general polls.
7. Governor David Umahi of Ebonyi, on Tuesday, effected a minor cabinet reshuffle.
The development saw three commissioners in his cabinet swapping positions. Dr Hyginus Nwokwu, Secretary to the State Government (SSG) made this known in a statement in Abakaliki on Tuesday.
Nwokwu disclosed that Chief Sabinus Nwankwagu, Former Commissioner for Border, Peace and Conflict Resolution is the new Commissioner for Education.
8. The Nasarawa State Police Command on Tuesday confirmed that three policemen have been killed by suspected herdsmen at Maraban-Udege village in the Nasarawa Local Government Area of the state.
The Public Relations Officer of the command, Samaila Usman, an assistant superintendent of police, told newsmen in Lafia, the state capital, that the three policemen were ambushed and killed on their way to quell a crisis between Agatu farmers and Fulani herdsmen.
9. Another staff of Kogi State Ministry of Education, Haruna David, a deputy director in the quality control department of the ministry, on Tuesday slumped and died in the office allegedly over non-payment of salaries.
David, according to a ministry sources, died on his way to the 12:00 noon mandatory clock-in for civil servants in the state, a practice that was introduced by the current administration.
10. The Super Eagles of Nigeria will today clash with Czech Republic in an international friendly ahead of the World Cup in Russia.
Already, head coach of the team, Gernot Rohr, has released his first XI, which included, Uzoho Shehu, Ekong, Balogun, Idowu Ogu, Mikel, Ndidi Moses, Ighalo, Iwobi.
credit: daily post
Welcome to Street Journal Forum, Our motto is "We Disagree To Agree", you can have an open discussion here on anything, you can respond to Topics freely. Upload pictures you want to share and please invite your friends!
We Disagree To Agree.....Let discuss everything!
First unread post • Total posts 96435 • Page 1 of 1